Mortal Kombat Series

Home >Mortal Kombat Series

Title
Developer
Year
Platform
Mortal Kombat (MK, MK1)
Midway
1992
Arcade, Windows, SNES, GEN
Mortal Kombat 4 (MK4)
Midway
1997
Arcade, Windows, PS1, N64
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (MK5)
Midway
2002
PS2, Xbox, GC
Mortal Kombat (MK9)
NetherRealm
2011
PS3, XB360


Mortal Kombat Box Art Mortal Kombat 4 Box Art Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance Box Art
Mortal Kombat (2011) Box Art

 

Description:

Ask anyone what the goriest fighting game they have ever played is and chances are they will say the Mortal Kombat series. The reason for this can be summed up in one word, FATALITY. The Mortal Kombat series is known for portraying the most gruesome and violent finishing death scenes ever thought up by man. The Earthrealm is being invaded by the destructive Outworld realm and it is your job to prevent this merger by winning the tournament known as Mortal Kombat. There are several characters to choose from, some human and some non-human, all of which have there own unique fighting style, attack combinations, and fatality moves. No matter who you choose, you will be in for the fight of your life.

There have been an onslaught of Mortal Kombat games since its conception back in 1992 and since has produced some astounding titles. Unfortunately, there have also been a lot of spin off titles and ports that put a damper on the series. We will only be discussing the main titles that made the greatest graphical improvements and technological advancements in depicting more realistic gore. As a side note, the graphics and animation technology is the same for MK1-3 and MK5-7, which is why we skip from Mk1 to Mk4, to MK5, then to MK9, just in case you were wondering. Also, MK8 is not a true MK game by any means as it doesn't have any gore at all; so it too will be skipped.

Much like The Punisher and the Manhunt series, the blood and gore in the Mortal Kombat series is about 90% scripted events leaving only about 10% resulting from actual gameplay physics. The gameplay in most MK games has a lot of blood shed during fights, but no actual anatomy damage or dismemberment until your opponent is defeated. In a lot of games this would be a negative thing, but not so in the MK series. The redeeming factor is that since there are so many characters that you end up playing for hours anyways because you want to see all the fatalities for all the characters. In most MK games, each character can even have multiple unique fatalities, which even further diversifies the gore. Although quite time consuming, it is damn well worth plunging through each battle to be rewarded with the most over-the-top and abominable acts of murder you could ever possibly imagine.

Throughout all games of the MK series, you will witness some seriously jaw dropping levels of blood and gore. The fatalities range from simple beheadings to complete and total opponent dismemberment. You can rip out spines, tear off arms, slice torsos in two, smash rib cages, tug out still beating hearts, the list goes on and on. Arms, legs, heads, bones, and even internal organs will be flying around and blood soaking anything in their path. Blood effects have always been one of the most recognizable aspects of MK. You will not find any other game that matches the tidal wave of blood flow that is present in the MK series. Although not very realistic in quantity or appearance, you will find that you just can't get enough of it.

Just as entertaining to watch as fatalities, there are also environmental kills that can be performed in certain arenas in most MK games. Using hazardous areas, such as a pit of spikes or rotating blades, you can propel your enemy to their doom and watch them be viciously mutilated. Even better, MK9 introduces progressive skin damage and "X-Ray" attacks, which allows your character to perform a severely damaging assault to your opponent. X-Ray attacks actually allow you to see in detail the damage that is inflicted to your opponent's bones and internal organs during the heavy attack in slow-mo! Yea, it just doesn't get any better than that folks.

When it comes down to it, there is only one Mortal Kombat game you need. You really can't go wrong with any of the mentioned titles as they all dish out plentiful gore and seriously brutal combat. However, the 2011 reincarnation of Mortal Kombat includes everything you could ever possibly want from a fighting game and entirely redefines video game blood, gore, and shear violence on a whole new level.

Screenshots:

(Click on any image to view high resolution version)

Mortal Kombat



Mortal Kombat 4



Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance



Mortal Kombat (2011)




Video Demonstration:

(For best quality, view in full screen 1080P HD )